Sherwood State School FETE
COME, PLAY & ENJOY - WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS & COMMUNITY
It is on Saturday - 12th May 2018 - 8:30 am till 5:00 pm
464 Oxley Road,
(Cr Sherwood Road & Oxley Road)
Sherwood, Brisbane QLD - 4075
Sherwood State School’s motto, Aim higher, reflects our commitment to building a strong foundation for the future success of our students.
Our school originally was known as West Oxley State School and opened on March 25th 1867 (other records indicate 23rd March).
The first head teacher (Headmaster) appointed to the school was Major William Jenyns Boyd. He was born in Paris on 1842 and migrated to Australia in 1862.
In 1868, Oliver Radcliffe was the first name on the roll as a pupil/teacher.
Other significant ‘finger prints’ in Sherwood State School’s heritage include:
1874 - School builds first Water Closet (toilet);
1878 - School changed its name to Sherwood State School.
1890 – Shingle roofing replaced with corrugated iron;
1893 - Measles and influenza out break reported;
1914 - World War 1;
1917 - Three additional classrooms added;
1925 -Students planted 100 trees in school grounds;
1926 - Limited electricity was provided;
1927- 33 additional 3 acres of land purchased;
1928 – First telephone installed
1936 - Three more classrooms added; electrical gramophone and wireless (radio) provided to the school
1937 – School moved to its current location/site.
1939 -World War Two began with a first aide, ambulance post and air raid trenches placed under buildings;
1950 - Polio outbreak;
1959 – School enrolment peaked at 1034 students;
1962 - Tuck Shop opened;
1965 - Parent and Citizen’s Association was formed; tennis court resealed and fenced;
1967 - Pool opened;
1984 - School purchased first computer;
1991 - After school care services established;
2000 – School Hall opens;
2007- Preparatory building constructed and class commences;
2017 - Completed 150 years;
The school celebrated 125 year Anniversary in 1992 resulting in a historic booklet being produced. The images and information contained in this summary has been drawn from this source. The publication can be viewed in the school library or in the Main Office for those community members interested. ‘The Shaping of Sherwood’ : A History of Sherwood State School by Laurel Schneider and Robyn Jones.